Monday, June 28, 2010

Midsummer Madness

I just realized that I missed posting something for Midsummer Eve, on the solstice as reckoned by tradition. But really Midsummer's exact dates vary between different cultures. As it so happens in Great Britain from the 13th century, Midsummer was celebrated on Midsummer Eve (St John's Eve, June 23) AND St. Peter's Eve (June 28)---that's toDAY.

So what better than this sparkling scene from A Midsummer Night's Dream: The Meeting of Oberon and Titania, by Arthur Rackham.

I posted this scan from a print early last year, but the cyber-sprites seemed to have dropped it from the blog archives. Cheeky little hobgoblins . . .


2 comments:

Steve Scott said...

"Come my Queen, take hands with me,
And rock the ground whereon these sleepers be!"

Thomas Haller Buchanan said...

Fairy king, attend, and mark:
I do hear the morning lark.